Information for

Useful Links

Demonstrating Language Proficiency

Proficiency in a language other than English, in order to meet UB’s degree requirements (for students under the 2002-2016 general education program), can be demonstrated in one of the following ways:

  • Successful completion of a UB foreign language course, at the appropriate level
  • Successful completion of a foreign language course at another institution, at the appropriate level
    Students who choose to complete the langauge requirement by taking a course at another institution are responsible for determining if the course is specifically articulated to a UB course sufficient to meet the requirement, or for seeking approval for the course from an advisor in this office or the appropriate academic department offering the language. We suggest this process be completed before the course is started, whenever possible.

  • Achieving a satisfactory score on a UB language proficiency exam
    Students who are proficient (or fluent) in a language which is offered at UB should consult with the department which offers that language, i.e., Romance Language and Literatures, Linguistics, or Classics, about a proficiency exam.
    Students who are proficient (or fluent) in a language which is not offered at UB should make an appointment with a CASSAS advisor to discuss arranging a proficiency exam.
  • Completion of the SUNY General Education Language requirement at another SUNY school with proper notification sent to UB
  • Earning examination credit (AP, CLEP, IB, etc.) in a foreign language, at the appropriate level or a student may demonstrate proficiency by receiving a score of 600 or higher on College Board Foreign Language Achievement Test (SAT II), or by passing a proficiency exam.
  • Completion of High School where the primary language of instruction is not English
  • For International students whose first language is not English, submission of a TOEFL (Test Of English as a Foreign Language) score during the admission process is sufficient to demonstrate proficiency

Any student with questions or problems about the demonstration of proficiency in a foreign language should see Brian Waldrop, or one of the other academic advisors in the CAS Student Advisement and Services office, 275 Park Hall. Our office is the campus-wide "clearing house" for all records and processing of language proficiency information.

Last Updated: February 27, 2017