The next meeting of the Special Major Committee is TBA.
Completed proposals must be submitted to the Special Major advisor by TBA to be considered for this meeting.
- Special Major Handbook (Word) (PDF)
- Special Major Application (Excel)
- Faculty Sponsor Agreement (PDF)
- Internships / IS Form (PDF)
is the Special Major advisor.
Call 645-6883 or stop by 275 Park Hall to make an appointment with him.
Step 1: Think of a major that will be personally fulfilling, cohesive and academically sound.
Step 2: Define the major.
- What is its academic purpose?
- What curricular resources might best support your major?
- What is the major's goal?
- Write a draft of your Statement of Intent and Purpose.
Step 3: Find faculty sponsors.
- Every special major must be sponsored by two faculty sponsors/mentors.
- If you need help finding sponsors, consult your academic advisor.
Step 4: Consult with your sponsors and the Special Major advisor.
- Show them your Statement of Intent and solicit their feedback..
- Identify coursework that will support your major.
Step 5: Structure the major curriculum, choosing from among:
- The existing UB course schedule.
- Transfer coursework.
- Independent Study research projects with faculty members.
- Study Abroad
Step 6: Complete the proposal application.
- Proposal forms can be downloaded from our Special Major webpage.
- The proposal must be submitted to the Special Major advisor at least two weeks prior to a committee meeting.
Step 7: Revise the proposal, if necessary, based on feedback from the committee.
- Work with the Special Major advisor and your faculty mentors.
- Resubmit the revised proposal.
Step 8: Complete the courses and programs as outlined in your approved proposal.
- Continue to interact with the Special Major advisor to plan your class schedule each term.
- If required courses or programs are not available as you are completing your requirements, propose changes to your curriculum in consultation with the Special Majors advisor.